What is American Pharmacists Month?
The American Pharmacists Association (APhA) recognizes October as being American Pharmacists Month. But what is American Pharmacists Month? It is a month focusing on pharmacists (and the pharmacy team) and all the ways that they contribute to healthcare. It is a way to raise awareness and to recognize all that they do for their communities. Pharmacists are one of the most accessible members of the health care team and because of this, they are able to make a significant impact on the patients that they serve.
For more information on what your pharmacist does, visit:
What is the APhA?
APhA was founded in 1852 and is the largest association of pharmacists in the United States. They focus on advancing the pharmacy profession and bringing awareness to the role of pharmacists in patient care. In 2004, APhA launched American Pharmacists Month as a way to recognize pharmacists and their contributions to health care. They have set dates to recognize the following:
- September 25, 2020: World Pharmacists Day #worldpharmacistday
- October 1, 2020: The Start of American Pharmacists Month
- October 12, 2020: Women Pharmacist Day #womenpharmacistday
- October 20, 2020: National Pharmacy Technician Day #rxtechday
What can YOU do for American Pharmacists Month in 2020?
There are so many ways to celebrate your pharmacist and express your appreciation!
- Say THANK YOU: It seems simple, but it does not go unnoticed! If you see your pharmacist working hard to get your prescription ready on time, save you some extra money, or calling your doctors office about a problem- be sure to thank them!
- Share a positive review: If you had a good experience the last time you were at the pharmacy, be sure to share it! Reviews can be given verbally, via email, social media, and often times online on the pharmacy’s website. We love to hear your feedback!
- Take charge of your health: Help us, help you! Ask us questions if you have them and be honest about your medications and health history. If we ask you a personal question, it is not to be nosy. We might be checking for drug interactions, allergies, or keeping an eye out for potential health issues.
What is Corum doing for American Pharmacists Month in 2020?
We are celebrating with our pharmacy team all month long! We have teambuilding activities, games, gifts and prizes planned throughout the month. We also have snacks and lunches scheduled. As pharmacists, we know that we would not be able to do our jobs if we didn’t have our team standing behind us, and we want to show our appreciation!
Written by: Megan Holland, PharmD